Tuesday, December 01, 2020

An interesting request for background quilting

A lady phoned me asking to simply quilt a front sheet, batting and back sheet together, no blocks, and no lines simply a plain piece of fabric top and bottom.

She makes dress up fabric dolls like those paper dolls we had as kids but this time the little doll is secured to a quilted background with detachable outfits which can be changed.

I don’t quite understand the instructions but not being much of a seamstress or one for applique, I am happy to oblige and do my part.  I would think one must add the appliqued doll to the top before quilting as now, after being quilted, the satin or blanket stitch needed to adhere the doll would show up on the backing.  As said, not for me to worry about or figure this out.

She gave me 4 different colours to work with and needing to make money to sell these, I have to do a fast quick all-over stitch that would take up as little as possible of my time in order to save her money on expensive quilting.

I also can’t have these motifs too widely spaced as she still needs to do the applique and having lumps of batting with no stitching might just complicate or hinder this process.  Well, if we don’t try, we’ll never know.

This is the fun news in my life for this week the awful news is that our incompetent corrupt municipality under ANC rule did not pay our water board that now doesn’t have money for chemicals to treat our water, pay their staff or buildings, so they shut our water off.  Amazing how we take things for granted and how terribly you miss these when not available.  Nothing happens as planned, you need water to cook, then to do the dishes, to cleanse yourself, clean the house and drink to stay alive.  Now……nothing.  Well, at least I don’t need water to quilt.

I took the royal blue fabric first and did the old trusted meandering.  I am grateful for this opportunity as this will give me an idea on which motifs stitch out the fastest when someone really needs a cheap job.


Now to watch some cricket, not that there is much left to get excited about but one never knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment