Sunday, December 27, 2020

Flower petal fill

Remember the practice fabric I loaded before my guests arrived for the festive season?

I cut this fabric after watching a video by Adria Good called Flower petal fills over HERE.  Now I know Adria is a ‘pro’ who has the ability to make everything look easy but I was adamant to give this a go.  The thing is, I get to see so many amazing things but hardly has the time to practise anything as I most always have a customer quilt on the frame and I have to admit some of my attempts are done on customer quilts.

So I cheated a little by starting before the first guests arrived but didn’t get to do much more than half of the first row.

Brother-in-law was the final to leave but on that day I simply sat just to gather my own thoughts and enjoy my own space ALONE.  I am really not much of a social animal, let alone visitors for long periods of time.

With everyone gone, it was playtime!  I experimented a lot, using different modes, testing the speed I could work with but in the end, slow is the way to go in order to get a good result.

I’ve shied away from long overall feathers as I never knew how the thread build-up at the back would look like and I was surprised to see that it is not nearly as bad as I imagined.  While doing the binding I was constantly aware of it but moving the quilt just a little further away, only the motif remained visible and the thread build-up could hardly be seen.   Here is the back which should show the build-up clearly and it is barely visible.

This was some of the cheaper extra wide fabric I purchased earlier this year and once completed it fitted our huge round bed with a diameter of 96”.  We now have new bedding to start the new year.






No comments:

Post a Comment