Thursday, July 22, 2021

Online free motion course by Adria Good – Motif 1

I’ve been following this quilter on YouTube and Facebook ever since I got my frame.  She mostly does edge to edge free-motion quilting and makes it look so easy.  She never talks much but showed clips and/or videos of her quilting.

I’ve liked most of her posts and occasionally hinted for a book and she never said ‘yes’ but never ‘no’ either.  I was pleasantly surprised when she soon afterwards said she’s playing with the idea of an online course.  She asked whether we’d prefer zoom live classes or online courses and I voted for online as her day is my night and I don’t stay awake one minute after 8 pm and then I have no concentration skills left anyway.

Then came her announcement that her course would be available somewhere in July.  Wonderful timing even though cash strapped now that I’m on pension I figured we could simply eat less but this course I will do seeing that it is my birthday gift to myself in my birthday month.

I do realize that I didn’t NEED this course. I am already comfortable with most of the motifs BUT between what you see, think you can do and hear what should be remembered is a whole world of knowledge and with my failing memory I need all the reminders I can get.  I recently went shopping while Telene Jeffrey presented a course.  I was not allowed to attend because I don’t belong to our local guild and I mentioned to the shop owner that I would have loved to attend.  She kindly too said that I was way beyond this course and just before she spoke, I heard something Telene said that I’ve heard before but totally forgotten, so I don’t believe in ‘you don’t need that course’.

So here I was finding fabric to use for my practice sheet.  This was fun.  Long, long ago when quilting friend Karin and I used to travel, not only abroad but locally too, we shopped aggressively for fabric.  Even with way too much money for spending, we’d still look for those cheapies leaving us to end up with fabric we have no idea where to use when.  We giggled a while ago about each having roughly 3 meters of beige canvas-like fabric.  Why and what for??

In my search I found this what I guess once used to be pure white, now almost off-white yardage.  Too thin for sheeting, not sure why I decided it was a good buy…. Price maybe?  Well, this would be my sampler for this course.  I figured it I used pretty quilting thread, it would work wonders.

Crap…. After attaching my zipper leaders, I wisely decided to use a permanent marker to divide the fabric into squares and after tediously marking and drawing lines, I realised I did all of that on the backing.  Man, o man, how thoughtless can one human be?  Anyway, now I will have white backing fabric with random black lines across the back.  Darn!!

Filler number one of this course was the ever so loved by all quilters, meandering.  I am rather comfortable with this but can one really ever practise enough?  When my next customer quilt arrived, I asked permission to do meandering on the quilt and she agreed.  The tricky part was that Adria suggested your little bubble should be the size of a US quarter…… now which size would that be in South African currency?  Had to ask a few questions and make a couple of calls.  It turned out to be roughly the size of a 5 Rand coin, I can do that!  This was the customer quilt I did

Then I loaded my practice piece just to realise I didn’t have batting or at least not a large enough piece.  Not a problem though.  I am simply going to lay off-cut pieces next to each other and quilt over all of it without joining beforehand.  This is after all a practice piece.

I basted the whole piece beforehand, firstly to secure the batting pieces and secondly it will allow me to take the piece on and off the frame whenever I get a customer quilt.

I decided on a very colourful variegated thread by Superior threads called Rainbows, the colour is no 813.  I have no idea where and when I purchased this, it was in my thread stash.

My meander test square, roughly 16” x 16” is done and now I can move on with the online video to learn more about the next motif.



No comments:

Post a Comment