Saturday, July 31, 2021

A rather densely quilted biggie

This was a rather financially tough week.  First, our cat with the auto-immune disease attacking his teeth and jaw, had 3 more teeth removed, a whopping R3,018 and then I had to buy 4 injections for the old Border Collie with arthritis which amounted to another R1,519.00.  Cat got complimentary dental treats from the vet and is now so in love with this I had to order more and these are not cheap at all.  With today being laundry day, the tumble dryer decided it had enough but blessed to be married to a handyman all is fixed now.

I got this quilt on Monday and for the first time I had absolutely no idea where to start or what to do.  With most other quilts, the moment I see it, I have somewhat of a starting point, not that I always stick to it but at least I have an idea.

This one had me floored.  Not only because of all the colours but the variety of blocks, the fact that the triangles of one block are also part of another block and the placement of the different blocks.

I had another quilter over the evening while the quilt was up against the wall and asked her for advice.  Well, so much for the help, she admired the quilt, stared at it lovingly and then turned around and said “I have another appointment, sorry you’re on your own” (Sound familiar Riana??)

The quilter didn’t want simply edge to edge, she loves her quilts properly custom quilted, so I decided to start with just one block, see how it looks and where it took me.  16 hours and 20 minutes later I can call it done.



No comments:

Post a Comment