Sunday, February 19, 2017

Being rid of my frozen shoulder

After 2 months of pure hell in pain, I got a cortisone injection directly into my shoulder and I IMMEDIATELY (sounds unbelievable but true) had relief.  I almost cried that afternoon, this time not of pain but because of the pure joy to be able to move again and get things done and boy, did I get it done!

The first evening it seemed I was so used to waking up every two hours due to the pain that I didn’t sleep well at all but (as if I knew it would happen, which I didn’t) I bought myself 2 new books the afternoon and when awake almost finished half at the first book during the night.

The next morning I could finally continue with my spring cleaning and decluttering that I so badly wanted to have finished by the time my daughter got married on 4 February.  I moved mountains, took off all 3 the spare bedrooms’ bedding and washed these, thoroughly cleaned out and decluttered our main bathroom, prepared a massive Sunday lunch for us and the one set of kids (the other set had prior arrangements). I then opted to rest the shoulder (even though moderate exercise is good for this condition) during the late afternoon and evening but at least I feel like a complete human again.

So although no quilting done my guest bedrooms are as neat and ready as can be for the next person in need of a place to crash.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

The Bachelorette and thereafter

It seems nowadays youngster are simply not just content with a Kitchen tea prior to getting married and this is regarded as an activity for the ‘older’ folks.  So the Kitchen tea on Wednesday was followed by a Bachelorette the Friday evening for the younger generation.

Now being older I simply went for the welcome drinks and snacks at DIL’s house and did the limousine ride with my daughter to the first place of gathering.  We were welcomed with cocktails and then the sexy lingerie was opened and shown.  Gosh they do have really pretty stuff nowadays and she got enough to last her on a month long honeymoon!

This being done I chose to go home and leave the brave ones to their own devices.  They are adults after all.

Now without my daughter knowing about the place mats I made, she wanted a quilt signed on her wedding day.  Luckily I don’t have to have the quilt completed before then. I just had to cut the blocks to be signed and make the sign/indication to show the guests what was expected from them and with a shoulder feeling like it is going to tear out of my body at any moment, I did this.

 These will be put up against a wall in a frame at the entrance of the venue later today.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Secret circle project revealed

The next big event for this year was the Kitchen tea for my daughter, our youngest, and it happened on her dad’s birthday using this to invite her over for some snacks with her not knowing that it is actually her kitchen tea.  My dearest daughter-in-law is an astronomical organiser and with my injured shoulder I cannot thank her enough for everything she did, planned and stepped up to.

I made all these tulle pom-poms to hang from the roof as decorations but fortunately these were made before I hurt my shoulder.

I’ve been working on a secret circle project for a while and I can now reveal what it was.  With my daughter getting married I wanted to give her something she could remember her kitchen tea by and made these place mats to match her black and white dinner set and appliqued coloured circles on it and the guest used these to write their names and a short message on a circle.

These would still be used at her bachelorette for those who did not attend the Kitchen tea to continue with the messages.

Friday, January 27, 2017

Our new and only grandson

This year started off with a bang and occasionally some less bangy moments.

My eager decluttering came to an abrupt halt after falling and hurting my shoulder on 22 December 2016.  At first I felt that something wasn’t right but it was really not that bad but with every unpacking, wiping, washing, sorting session I had, it worsened. 

Eventually I admitted defeat and went to see a physiotherapist and the treatment made a massive difference for at least one day and then all the aches and pains returned.  So for a couple of weeks now and after several treatment sessions which still doesn’t seem to help, I’ve been hanging around in every room of the house with nothing positive to show.  I simply cannot stretch my arm forward for the life of me.  It is like a dead weight hanging useless next to my side.   Frustrating, especially as we returned back to the office on Monday, 9 January and I wanted to do so much more before then.

Our new grandson was born on 19 January, as good as they get but there was hardly time to revel in this amazing event as we still had a Kitchen tea and Bachelorette to plan for my daughter, our youngest.

However for now I can at least show off the new little man, still only able to sleep and feed and not causing much more excitement.

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Mystery completed

And finally I have my Hillbilly Space Journey mystery tablerunner completed and what a feeling this time of the year.

I deferred somewhat (not totally) from the finishing tips shared by Tonya on her blog over HERE. I too kept the folded edges of my EPP project folded under and cut the batting right up to this folded edge of the top.

The backing however I left almost half an inch larger than the batting/top layer.  I then quilted the top keeping clear of about half inch from the edge.

This allowed me to fold the backing over the batting tucking it in under the top.  So I could simply use quick slip stitches to hold the edges together instead of tedious tiny ladder stitches to try and hide the batting from popping out. This worked really well.

In the end I simply stitched a straight stitch a quarter inch from the outer edge.