Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Courthouse Step quilt 1


I saw a photo on Facebook of what was a beautiful (to me) quilt and luckily had the savvy to not only save the photo but also read some of the comments as to the name of the block and a video tutorial on how to make it.  However, when I went to the video link and wanted to return to Facebook, I couldn’t find the post again, so I can unfortunately not give credit but this was the photo I saw.

The next step was to find border fabric and with procrastination comes some good luck as I found fabric that would work in my stash.  Planned the quilt in EQ, got the fabric requirements but then my inability to do proper math stepped in.  I know I had to make two blocks alternating colours, so clever old me reckoned if I needed 6 yards and have to make 2 blocks then I need 3 yards of each of the two colours.  

Big mistake, which I only realised when I started making the blocks and saw that I have very few which would not even cover a double bed.  Too late however as I only had 3 yards of the border fabric which I bought ages ago, so no rushing to a shop quickly to get some more.

So this dampened my enthusiasm and the blocks stayed pinned to the design wall with no progress at all.  When quilting friend Karin, invited us to visit them on Boxing Day, warning me she’d be sewing, I got the strips, not yet done, out and took it along.  It turned out that this was just the nudge I needed to get going again.

I afterwards also managed to cut 12 more of each block to at least make the quilt for a smaller bed.  These were my blocks.

When the time came to slash through the blocks at a 45 degree angle, I changed my blade but with the sudden smooth slicing, I moved the blade away from the ruler and basically destroyed one half of a block.  No fixing this and I had to make another full block to rectify this.

This mistake turned into two but with that fixed and all my blocks sliced and stitched, I can now start playing around on the design wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment