Sunday, December 09, 2018

Quilted Duvet Cover 1


Daughter-in-law brought me 2 duvet covers, bought for our Big Man, to quilt these.  Now from previous experience I’ve learnt that although these cover our beds just fine, they are cut skew as hell.  Step 1 was to wash these to get rid of the excess starch making these look perfectly square/rectangular which they are not.

Then I had to unpick the seams to separate the front from the back and square both top and back.  This however meant the backing was now not wider than the top and I’d be unable to load these on the frame.

Off to the shops to try and find matching fabric to extend the backs before I could start.  With this fabric attached to the backing I loaded the quilt and the fun started.  No seams to stitch through and one can use the motifs on the fabric as a guide to what to quilt, where.

I think this can be such a nice training tool for someone wanting to learn to quilt.  Just find a motif on Pinterest and plop it in a certain area/s of the top.  I had heaps of fun doing this one.  I have stitched one side of the binding on but with all the load shedding going on in our country, I am leaving the hand sewing part for days when we’re stuck without electricity for 2 hours at a time.









No comments:

Post a Comment