Sunday, April 28, 2019

Woodland Animals – the quilting


With my patched batting created for this quilt, I could load it and decided to mark a grid on my background sky.  I drew a 1½” grid, outline the applique eyeballing a ¼” from the edge and then applied Dorie Hruska’s ‘making connections’ technique.  I am also trying to use manual mode (no stitch regulation) as I see Julia Quiltoff does so comfortably in her videos.  However, I think this will be a learning curve on its own.

Blue sky background is done and maybe a little overkill for crib quilts but I got to practise the technique and I get a feeling of accomplishment whenever I try a new technique.

Next up was the sand/ground and although my motif looks more suited for water I simply couldn’t think about anything ‘sandy’.

I did a Baptist fan pattern on the lighter grassy patch.  I know the more clever quilters use either computers, stencils or rulers but I like to do this freehand and eyeball the spacing.  It is after all ‘free motion quilting’.

The lowest part of the grass was another grid design and this went fairly quickly

Then the tree trunk needed some detail.

I also meandered in some of the larger parts of the critters just to avoid having large un-quilted areas. I think I can square this one up and add the binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment