Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Joining batting


Now this is definitely not one of my favourite activities but when I finished the Woodland Animals top it was a public holiday and I didn’t have enough batting on a roll BUT a drawer full of remnants and decided ‘waste not, want not’ and joined these.

Still left with a bunched up amount of batting stuffed in the most horrific way in my batting scrap drawer I decided to turn these into more user-friendly bits.  I measured a couple of pieces and it turned out cutting 8” squares would result in the least waste and that is what I did.

If I had strips of pieces less than 8” wide I’d see if I couldn’t join two pieces to still end up making an 8” block.

If I did have a full width of batting or long strips I would not chop this up into squares but kept it full width and just cut 8” strips – thus making the math when having to determine the final size to match a quilt somewhat easier.

I ended up with a much neater batting drawer, even though still not enough to make anything but a crib quilt, but I am sure these will work much easier than having random crooked strips stuffed in a drawer.


No comments:

Post a Comment