Thursday, July 30, 2020

Quilt 4 – Stitches for Africa

Got up early this morning to finish up the last bit, so after work I could square it up and cut binding strips.

The backing and batting for this quilt was cut before I started quilting the Wild Colours quilt, so when the quilter fetched yesterday’s quilt, I already had this one loaded, so no time wasted on preparing the other 2 layers BUT look what I got as payment for my quilting….


If you are not South African you may not understand my excitement but with our lockdown came the total ban on alcohol and sadly I drink wine like most people drink water, so this gift is EXTRA special.

  The screwed up part about these bans and or laws for COVID is that our lawmakers themselves don’t abide by their own rules.  Yesterday on the news it showed an ANC funeral with heaps more than the allotted 50 people per funeral, no social distancing, people smoking – obviously had to take off their masks (against COVID law) but will anything come from this?  I doubt it, the ANC in South Africa is untouchable and still, the world lends them money to apply for ‘irregular expenditure’…. their fancy term for theft by their own people but enough about these spineless beings.

I decided to only do hand guided free motion on this quilt – this will be the first of 3 made with exactly the same pattern, so I’ll have to get creative in getting them to look somewhat different with the quilt motifs.


For the borders I chose a simple loop, the triangles were filled with alternating swirls and a continuous line, popping in a regular loop filled the hexagons.




It saddens me to see the condition of my cutting mat after having cut batting on it.  When done wit these quilts for charity I think it needs a long soak and scrubbing.


No comments:

Post a Comment