Saturday, July 18, 2020

Quilt 1 – Stitches for Africa


Do you know about this Facebook group?  You can like and follow them and even reach out to help or donate.  I am not going into detail about what they do, so I simply took what is already on their page to tell more.

I follow them and recently saw this message on their page

Seeing that I love free motion quilting, I offered my help and Sheila couriered me 7 tops.  So all the free motion quilters in our country, reach out and help, this is the ideal time to practise and perfect your skills.  You do have to supply the batting and backing and bind the quilt when completed BUT just think about it….. These quilts won’t go to a paying customer, you won’t be judged on your tension, stitch lengths or minor mishaps.  The recipient will only be too grateful to get a completed quilt to stay warm.

When I took the quilts from the bag, I decided not to be picky and take the top one first and deal with it and all pink it turned out to be.

Many moons ago a quilt shop in a nearby city closed down and sold the fabric for half the price BUT you had to make a payment and then they’d select fabric to that value for you.  You could unfortunately not be selective and I took the chance.  I got some very nice fabric but also a couple that I knew I would NEVER use.

Now before my kids simply chuck my fabric in a dumpster after I die, I’d much rather put it to good use.  I started looking at my fewer favourite pinks to join for a backing.  Not too shabby I’d say.

I can’t guarantee that the top will be dead centre, top and bottom, left and right, on the backing but as said, the recipient will most probably not even care.

This quilt was made up using 6” blocks and 4-patch squares but randomly placed, so no use to find a motif thinking it would somehow line up and make a secondary motif on the back, so I chose an all-over motif of echoed hearts to do on this one.

I went to our only local travelling quilt shop this morning to get some decent wide backing but really didn’t need anything else. I, however, made friends with the property cat while waiting for hubby to fetch me.  Back home my daughter and granddaughter awaited us and the best news is that her COVID 19 test (after being so ill) came back NEGATIVE.  So the common cold it was.

Took a mean Saturday afternoon nap with the parrot, woke up to chicken wings hubby roasted on the grill (I had a craving for these) and then got to finish this quilt.  After sewing the binding to the front, this quilt will go to the office for the sales ladies to do the back of the binding by hand…… they offered!





No comments:

Post a Comment