Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Owl pretty in pink and green


This was the second quilt delivered on Friday, 10 July and after ironing the backing wanting to square it, I found this horrible cut by the shop.  In order to square this, I would easily lose 6” on one side.  If it was cheap material by all means but we pay a small fortune for 100% cotton and to simply discard 6” is a terrible waste in my eyes.  While typing this I still need to measure and see if the backing will be enough for the quilt or whether to phone the quilter and give her the bad news.  Worst of all is I suspect she ordered it from another city, so not just a matter of running by the shop to buy an extra piece.  Praying for good news once the sparrow is asleep and I can measure.

I had a wonderful lunch with my family for my birthday on Sunday and got spoilt rotten, even the restaurateur gave me a dozen of yellow roses – he turns out to be my hairdresser as well but if you’re good with what you are capable of doing, do what you can.

Finally measured the backing and it would still be fine although I might have to apply a longarm hack or two in order for the machine not to run into my clamps holding the backing taut.  I was able to load the quilt and play with ideas for motifs before bedtime.

Slipped away from the office earlier on Monday to get quilting as my bookings are becoming rather tense, just to find we have load shedding at home…. so frustrating.

I am not usually a fan of variegated thread as somehow it always happens that the pink thread will end up on the green and vice versa but with this quilt, I decided to take the chance.  It had several plain blocks so whether I chose pink, it would show up on the green and white and if I chose green; it would show up on the others.  So variegated I go, somewhere something will match the fabric.

I got up at 4 am this morning and after my first cuppa, I finished this before hitting the shower for work at 6 am.  Sadly it did not only take me 2 hours to quilt, but the early hour quilting was also just to finish it up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment