Sunday, August 30, 2020

Quilted duvet cover

I was asked to quilt this duvet cover seeing that the recipient likes the colours but from past experience, I’ve learnt it best to not simply try to stuff the batting in between the top and back but to unpick totally, find a larger replacement backing and cut the batting to fit the top.  So unpicking I had to do.  Then I popped the top and new backing in the washing machine just to get rid of any sizing and to allow me to cut it truly straight on all 4 sides.

Taking a hint from the printing on the top I decided to do Swirls and leaves, a motif I once saw Adria Good do on a top she quilted.  Mine would definitely not be as picture-perfect but I still had time to start practising on paper or the whiteboard. As Angela Walters says “80% of successful quilting is knowing where you are going.”

Did this one rather fast (large all over motifs do go quick) but I am always a little surprised how non-quilters think that a quilt comes off the frame with the binding on.  Luckily up to now, I’ve remembered to ask whether they knew someone who’d do the binding for them and also, up to now, got rather perplexed looks from them.

So I did the binding on this one too.  There was enough backing fabric left to be able to do this.



No comments:

Post a Comment