Thursday, August 06, 2020

Quilt 5 – Stitches for Africa

I looked forward to this week’s Monday so badly, thinking I’ll go in, finish my month-end and be ready as can be when my NEW computer arrived on Tuesday.  The computer, I currently use, was purchased in 1998 and tediously slow.  While waiting for ANY program to open, I can easily play 2 games on my phone just to wile time.  Got going as I arrived at the office, patiently waiting between steps as I hoped the computer would get to where it needed to be but then NOTHING worked and I simply forced a shutdown.  After restarting it wanted to do a Windows update….. Boy did that take forever.  Finally at 12 noon I could only start working.  With parrot needing to take her afternoon nap just after 1 I barely got anything done before having to leave.

Tuesday the new computer arrived and the speed was amazing.  Sadly I leave even earlier on Tuesdays, so I barely had time to experiment before having to go home.

Leaving the office early on Tuesdays, that is the other wonderful news for this week.  My ‘once-a-week’ cleaners were closed during the lockdown and then restarted after 4 months.  It felt like Christmas walking into a clean house and knowing I don’t have to vacuum, mop, dust or wipe.  I, therefore, come home to let the dogs in as they are kept outside while the cleaners do their thing.

My third set of good news is that I again ordered meals for the week.  Tuesday evening we ate Chicken cheesecake and I added fried battered onion rings and a salad.  I can get used to this life with plenty of good news.

This quilt used the same pattern as quilt number 4 just in more girly colours.  I decided to do a flower motif in the hexagons more for me to practise backtracking as these were similar to stitching feathers.  I was not always successful but with practice, one tends to see what works better for you.  Unlike suggested, I rather have to go slower than faster.

I was up before 4 am on Wednesday, not because of a bad night but I think I was so eager to get to the office and try out the new computer.  The computer guy changed a couple of things and very new to me would be the way daily backups have to be done.  With one simple click, I can now backup all the admin computers in the office from my computer. Previously every computer had to be done individually. It may take up to 10 minutes but during that time I can set out the coffee mugs for when the other staff arrive at the office.

During those early hours, I got 2 more rows quilted so at that stage only 4 more to go. The flowers or rather the slower backtracking took some time.

As much as I looked forward to working on the new computer, it didn’t pan out that way.  I ran into so many ‘new’ issues and again sat idly around not knowing how to sort out the problems.  Computer guy was in a meeting and couldn’t rescue me.  Mysteriously after a couple of hours, the computer could suddenly link to the printer and I had all systems going but I was still so far behind on my work.  It was such a good feeling to be home in the afternoon, finish up this quilt…. At least something that worked in my life and had a feel-good ending to Wednesday.





No comments:

Post a Comment