Monday, August 17, 2020

How I join Loomtex batting

Now this is definitely not the ONLY way and not necessarily correct but works for me and a quilter recently asked how I joined these.  With Loomtex (being polyester) one cannot use an iron and joining tape to join these but I am just too stingy to simply throw them out.

So I’ll start by having at least straight edges on my scraps, mark a half-inch line on one part.

Overlap these and join with a wide and long zig-zag stitch until I have a larger batting piece than my 12½ inch square ruler.

Then I lay my ruler over the piece and cut a perfect square.


The small bits to the top and left will be discarded but I can still use what is left on the right and bottom.

I will keep on doing this and then join the blocks again marking my half inch line and making sure my scrim stays to one side.

I keep adding blocks until I have batting 12 inches wider than the width and length of my quilt top.  I also turn my seams in different directions so as not to have all going the same way.

If I have a longer length of batting I will not chop these into squares but simply cut a straight edge to join to the previous.



Soon enough I have patchwork batting and once sandwiched between the top and backing and quilted no-one will ever know or feel the difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment