Thursday, August 20, 2020

Kaffe Fasset applique

This quilter always does something different; with this quilt, she not only used Kaffe Fasset to piece the quilt but also did an applique motif with the same fabric.  She requested an all-over leave pattern around the centre applique panel.

Then she asked me to stitch veins inside of the leaves.


Because I go to bed early I only squared the backing and loaded the layers on the frame before bedtime but up at 4 am I was able to do the all-over leave pattern as well as all the veins before hitting the shower at 6 am.

I was hoping to be able to do my normal early- Tuesday- leaving –the- office -routine but it was wishful thinking.  One of the admin staff lives with family who tested positive for COVID and is in self-isolation, so that means I can’t simply go whenever I please.  Imagine me telling a customer “sorry, I need to bring my dogs inside, can’t help you any longer”!

After work, I got to start echoing around the applique but this posed to be a massive problem.  With all the colours I either lost my line or simply did not see the applique motif and stitched right through it.  Heaps of unpicking done on this.

My daughter and the baby came to visit one afternoon, so not much more quilting done further.

I felt the area surrounding the applique needed dense quilting in the hope the applique would stand out somewhat but I am not sure the loft in our local cotton blend batting would allow this.  The only way to find out was to try.  I used a dense meandering (smaller scale) to try and achieve this.

I don’t think the loft of the batting allowed for my plan to fully work but one does see a little fullness in the border areas surrounding the centre applique panel.  My wish was to accomplish this with the centre applique itself. On the back, the centre applique looks almost better in standing out, so maybe it was a combination of the low loft batting and the extremely busy fabric that caused the applique not to pop.


I had my hair cut and coloured yesterday and now I’m good to go for another couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Beautiful....absolutely beautiful!
    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete