Monday, August 10, 2020

Quilt 7 – Stitches for Africa

 

This then is the last of the quilts I received from Stitches for Africa. I think it is made using the Jelly Roll Race pattern but to me, an ideal chance to practise my border/sashing designs.  I counted 35 rows, so if I select 5 motifs I can repeat them 7 times.

For this one, I joined batting again and made a nice dent in my batting stash doing these quilts.  We have a public holiday and hubby made me breakfast as he didn’t yesterday when it was Woman’s Day; he played golf early morning.  He then left to help the younger kids with their fence, so I had the day all to myself.

I started off with a motif that I am fairly familiar with but once done from left to right I came back for a second pass doing a smaller motif inside the first.


The second motif I’ve seen many times but never applied it to any of the quilts I’ve done, so this was new to me and I think rather pretty and easy.


Third up was the paperclip, a motif I learnt when doing an internet class through Bold Notion Quilting, this was so much fun way back then and now.


This motif is called Penguin Curl and I first saw a video on it by Quilted Joy and months ago promised a quilter that I’d do it on her border but I chickened out last minute.  At that stage, I did not feel comfortable trying something new on a customer quilt.  Well, now I can do it.


Another trusted old favourite is the herringbone and I spaced mine out wide for the first pass and came back with a smaller version inside from the right to left


I should have stopped at the fifth motif but there are just so many to choose from that I changed my calculations and opted for 7 motifs repeating these only 5 times.  This was a continuous half heart.


Last up was Onion Peel a motif I tried when doing a dog blanket a while ago.  I don’t think I got it quite right this time but it is done and that’s the way it will stay for all the other repeats.


For the two side borders, I did half-inch wide piano keys as these are fairly successfully done when quilting from top to bottom having to advance the quilt regularly.  The blue water-soluble pen lines will be removed during the first cold water wash.


Done just as hubby arrived back home.


That concludes all the quilts for others that I had in my possession and I think my arthritis hands and shoulder can do with a break.

So I ended off this public holiday in the best possible way.


No comments:

Post a Comment