Friday, April 03, 2020

Modified 9-patch – The start


Phew! I’ve watched all 5 series of Lockdown during the first week of our National Lockdown just to serve as a friendly reminder that things could have been worse but I must admit after this, I don’t want to see a movie/series for quite some time.

I decided to partake in the quilt-along hosted by Sandra DeLand from the FB group Jelly Roll Quilts as I have 2 very colourful jelly rolls that I’ve been dying to use. By the time the group started, I was still busy with my Fractured Squares quilts and just copied the notes to get to it later.

The quilt (a picture Sandra saw) was originally referred to as 2 patch + 4 patch but she has, with the first instructions, decided to call it Modified 9 patch.

I knew I needed at least one jelly roll and background fabric but the size would determine the amount.  Off to EQ to put blocks on the background and count how many would be need for a proper bed quilt and it turned out, no less than 225 blocks…… this could have taken forever but with the National lockdown and more time on hand, I might just do well.

I had to cut strips from my stash for the background which in my case is black.
I decide to cut 8½” slices from my yardage to use this in my Accuquilt 2½” strip die with only a little waste.

First cuts of the background yardage @ 8½” intervals

Then ran through the Accuquilt to get 3 WOF strips per cut.

After what felt like an eternity I had my 225 background strips cut.

Now the very colourful jelly roll squares have to be cut and pieced but first time to get breakfast ready seeing that we now suddenly eat 3 meals a day, let alone snacking in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment