Sunday, April 05, 2020

Modified 9-patch – Adding colour


Once I had all my background strips cut I started with adding colour using the jelly rolls and some on my stash as the two jelly rolls would not be enough.  I’ve learned valuable lessons with this quilt.  There is an ever so slight difference between the width of a store-bought jelly roll, strips cut with the Accuquilt and the strips I cut with my ruler, using Bonny Hunter’s technique where the measurement you cut has to show up on top of your fabric (as in the lines on the ruler).

With these differences, I struggled to line my blocks up neatly and some are really wishy-washy and doesn’t line up at all.  Another thing that I will have to start doing is to finger press when working with strips.  I found many a set of strips narrower than another just to notice that with ironing, it formed a tiny pleat, away from the stitching line, which caused it to not fit. For those intending to tell me I should have set my seam with the iron before opening it up, I did!

However, this is not a show quilt and what is the use of making a new pattern if you don’t learn something in the process, so I will keep going.

I am trying to sew at least one row (15 blocks) a day and in between, I have to clean and or tidy a cupboard, now trust me to always start with the bathroom cupboards, these are the smallest and in general not very untidy.  I am just scared I tackle a large cupboard and then the willingness subsides and it never gets done.  Counting down the finishes when having started small makes me feel good.
This is my progress on this quilt so far.

Guess I have to take a shower first and put on a fresh pair of pyjamas, I can get used to this kind of dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment