Sunday, March 07, 2021

All scraps quilt

The universe does have a sense of humor or maybe some kindness.  When I purchased my frame end of November 2017 my thought process was that I would have a hobby and a little income once retired but it still seemed so far in the future.  Now that time has come and the people responsible for carrying my accounting program over from the office to our house arrived much earlier than anticipated on Monday.  Caught me somewhat off-guard as we still had a couple of things to finish up but grateful for the help, I couldn’t really complain.

I packed up the last bit of my office stuff and arrived home just before 10am, barely put the parrot outside when my phone rang and by gosh it was a quilter wanting to bring a quilt immediately.  Now, not a problem, previously I could only receive quilts after 2pm but I found it funny as the moment I entered the retired status I got what I envisioned all along.

This quilter has made (and quilted) this specific pattern many times before but she says with this one, she only used every scrap she had or what she had in her stash.  Initially, we talked about where and what the quilt will be used for and decided on an all-over pattern but the more I looked at the quilt, the more possibilities came to mind and I phoned the quilter asking if I couldn’t do just a bit more than an all-over pattern and she didn’t mind but gave me a budget.  Now, this will be the first time that I had to work within a budget but once I divided her amount by the amount, I charge to see how many hours I’m allowed to spend on the quilt, I thought it would be more than sufficient.  Had to wait and see though but it is always interesting to be challenged on a different level.

Have to interrupt myself here, the first days as a pensioner was hellish, to say the least.  I didn’t know where anything was, couldn’t find anything, my e-mail broke down (refused to send, can only receive), things the new owners were supposed to have in place were not done yet, and to top it all, I went to renew my firearm license and got the rudest female police officer ever.  Was so upset when she sent me home to complete the forms, whereas in the past you could complete it there and then, that I screwed up most of my own info.  I also now feel that I work twice as hard as before.  I get up rather early and already then start working and when hubby gets home at night, it continues.  So, the quilting did not go as fast as I would have liked it.

Finally the weekend I put my foot down and continued with this quilt and sadly I could not stay within the time frame for the budget but then again, I had fun doing the quilting and it was my idea to do a little more than an all-over pattern; therefore, not the quilters' problem.

I am however extremely satisfied with the outcome and I am glad I didn’t go for an all-over pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment