Sunday, March 28, 2021

Little houses quilt

Up early one morning I got to watch a quilting video by Adria Good on stitching out the Ribbon all over free motion design.

Later that morning (with my ear acting up badly again) I got this darling little Houses throw sized top.  I’ve done a similar but larger one a while ago but on that the quilter only requested basting as she wanted to hand quilt it, which she did.  These blocks were leftover and she finished it as a throw with soft fleece as backing.

When she requested an all-over design, I showed her this brand-new idea I got from this video.  I got the quilt loaded but then I first had to play around on paper and my whiteboard marker to get familiar and comfortable with the design.  Building memory muscle is still a trusted tool I always rely on before trying something new.

I loved doing the design as it is a simple meander done twice with the lines crossing over occasionally and it took me back to my starting days with free motion quilting where it was very clearly stated that lines should never cross when doing meandering.  I am so grateful for the new generation of free-motion quilters who simply threw out all the ‘fake’ rules as to what can/should or must be done.  How on earth would one be able to do this beautiful ribbon design without crossing lines?

The additional puffiness seen on the front is the result of the fleece backing inevitably stretching while on the frame and once released it jumps back to its’ original state and the fact that the quilting was less dense thus not all the top pieces were thoroughly quilted down onto the fleece backing, so it could not stay flat once the fleece relaxed.

However still a warm and cozy look and feel to this quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment