Monday, May 20, 2019

Miraculous koi escape customer quilt

On Saturday my daughter had her gender reveal party, so now we are looking forward to our second granddaughter which will be the third grandchild.

A quilter sent me a picture of a quilt, she wanted me to do.  Now not being very arty or creative, I looked at it and didn’t have the foggiest as to what one should do with this, even though she told me what the quilt was called.  Guess I was just too eager to look at the picture; I never bothered to read the message properly.

As usual, I printed the picture and thought I’d start planning and only on about day 3, upon walking into my sewing room with the printed picture on the table, I suddenly got it.  A massive Koi (in fact several) is hiding behind all these colours.  That ‘aha’-moment!

When the quilter finally brought me the quilt, I double checked with her to see if she too saw what I saw and we were in agreement.  Then the fun started.

Scales on the Koi done and I was satisfied.  This was the first time I used 40 weight thread in the bobbin and it took some time getting used to.  I am used to ‘feel’ my tension at the bottom and this thread is so fine, I hardly feel a thing.  So my ‘Angie mirror’ and table light had to be taken out to see what was happening at the bottom.  

My enlarging mirror is called Angie as my friend Karin’s daughter, Angie, gave me this one year for my birthday to pluck eyebrows – needless to say, it nowadays is used for other fun stuff.

Satisfied with the tension, the scales of the most prominent Koi got done.

Then I simply did rather straight lines on the fins.

The water was added to the background.

With the border done, I have yet another finished client quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment