Thursday, March 21, 2019

Disparity 4

Wednesday afternoon was time for my annual gynaecologist visit and as much as I appreciate this man and the way he does things, I hate going to his rooms for the simple reason, after a year, I can’t recall how I got there the previous year.  I seriously have no sense of direction be it on the road or inside a building.  For the life of me, I cannot remember whether I turned left or right when I exited the elevator. Found him however and need to go back in 3 months, not stressing though, simply old age setting in.

Got up early on this morning, which was a public holiday in South Africa so I could linger around in my PJ’s all day if I wanted to, and got quilting.  I just love the serene time that early mornings offer. 

Furthermore, I checked our load shedding schedule and noticed that we won’t have electricity from 8 to 10:30, now this can either be morning or night.  For the non-South Africans, load shedding is caused by an incompetent government that preferred to pocket state funds instead of maintaining power stations.  Now to preserve energy we are left without electricity several hours per day.  Nowadays the way we plan our lives revolves around the load shedding schedule.

As with using different speeds or modes to get a better look when doing certain motifs I’ve also noticed that the time of the day also determines the quality of my motifs.  I have somewhat of a jerky left shoulder/arm and it takes some warming up before working at its best, so doing ruler work is out of the question early mornings.  I would have the ruler in place and as I bring the foot closer my arm would give this unplanned twitch and the ruler would be out of place again.  On the other hand, doing pebbles early morning works for me.  I seem to be more patient and prepared to take my time.  So this is what I focussed on while still fresh.



By mid-afternoon, I rolled back the top of the quilt to check that all the non-quilted areas were planned or whether I forgot certain areas.



Okay, so our scheduled load shedding from 8 to 10:30 didn’t happen after I did the laundry, showered and got a flask of boiling water filled.  Then I saw a Facebook announcement that it will happen from 10 am, rushed to the shop, pharmacy and liquor store and again, nothing happened.  Not complaining though, things got done.

Somewhat of mixed feelings whenever I take a quilt off the frame, I’m satisfied with a job done but then now the fun ends…. Darn.  I am however glad I waited for this hand dyed backing as it hides most of the coloured thread specks from constantly changing thread colours.


So I might just be able to sew the binding on tonight and then I can show the completed quilt once the other side of the binding has been done by hand.  I think I spent my public holiday rather productive.



No comments:

Post a Comment