Sunday, October 04, 2020

Designs with lines, a Quiltastix online course

For those interested Claire does not expect of you to make a sampler like I did, in fact, she suggests you use cheap fabric and a contrasting thread for practice.  By the way, these courses are not just for long arm machines but for domestic machines as well. You can find the courses over HERE.

Now, little old me, knew if I used cheap fabric, I will most probably produce a cheap result, therefore, I decided to use proper quilting cotton and I stuck to the contrasting thread to be able to see my mistakes immediately.

The other nice thing about these online courses is that you own them for life.  As I decided on which motif to stitch where, I could go back to the course material, check out how it should be done before practising on a whiteboard and only then did the motif on the fabric sampler.

Friday was somewhat of a tug of war.  I had the quilt loaded, wanted to watch tennis and we almost had proper rain but along with it came thunder, so machine had to be off.  When the thunder subsided the tennis was just too good to leave, so I had to make a plan and bring the laptop to the frame room – not that I really have space for it but I reckoned while quilting I might at least listen when things become intense and I wanted to look.


Started cooking Sunday lunch just after 4 am on Saturday while having the laundry going, knowing all that needed to be done was up to date and I had the rest of the day to myself.  Laptop acted up after an update, so as much as I enjoyed my time behind the frame I took several and frequent breaks to catch up on the tennis but got the quilt done before bedtime.

Baked my Apple Tarte Tatin early this morning to serve with fresh cream for dessert, ironed yesterday’s laundry and stitched the binding to the front of the sampler.  Before lunch, I then just had to toss the salad together.


After everyone left, I took a rather late afternoon nap and then finished up the last of the binding by hand.  Popped the sampler in the washing machine to get rid of all the pounce pad chalk lines and get it to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment