Saturday, October 10, 2020

Butterflies

I had so much fun quilting this, actually, the truth is I always have fun when quilting but maybe because spring is in the air and these colours just added to our days being bright and beautiful. I also love quilting for this customer, she simply allows me, without any instructions, time constraint or pre-set rules to do my thing as long as she has a pleasing outcome in the end.  It allows my creative juices to flow not constantly having to wonder if what I do is what the quilter wanted.

I did audition the motifs I wanted on my computer but once loaded on the frame; I needed to check if what I wanted would work on a larger scale, so out came the plastic sheet and a whiteboard marker.



Having decided to use hooks in the design of the 9-patch block, I wanted to repeat the hooks somewhere else, so a new (to me) border motif had to be tried out.  I think I like this.
I only decided on the border design after the quilt was loaded on the frame and thus did not measure the side borders.  So after doing the top and bottom border and the body of the quilt, I had to take it off, measure the spaces and turn the quilt to be put back on the frame.  A good thing though, for one I don’t charge the quilter for my incompetence or indecisiveness and I took it off just as the men’s semi-final started, so watched TV while marking the other borders and then it was game on, tennis only with a little soft rain falling.

For the butterfly blocks, I simply echoed around the picture and just gave the sashing S-shaped curves.


In the 9 patch blocks, I used the continuous line design with the hooks.
I was really sad when this was all over and I had to stop working on it.







No comments:

Post a Comment