Friday, April 22, 2022

So tired and a shirt quilt

Even before our move to the new neighbourhood, a friend, who turned out to be my new neighbour and makes dance costumes for dance schools phoned to say how excited she was that I was about to live across the street from her.  She knew I sew (her word, quilt… my word) and from time to time needs an extra hand to help out.

I went over one morning just to check out what they were doing and by golly, she really needed help as I returned home with a bucket, containing 17 costumes, I needed to hem around all the edges and while walking out, she showed me the next batch of things I had to finish, this entailed sequence to the edges of 11 tutus. I forgot to take a picture of the first costumes but this is an example of the little tutu outfits she makes.

Still busy with the first costumes, a quilter brought a top made from shirts and denim but I thought I’d finish the costumes first.  Easier said than done as I haven’t used my sewing machines with fancy stitches in ages and I don’t think I’ve ever done anything using a twin needle.  I had to rush to our local Pfaff dealer for a crash course in twin-needle stitching and I’ve totally forgotten how to use the computerised machines, constantly forgetting to press the OK button after a selection and couldn’t understand why the darn machine would simply ignore me.

Expecting load shedding early the next morning, whilst not having the hems finished the previous day, I started sewing at 4 am as we expected load shedding at 6 am (which never happened!!). I took the costumes to her just after 8 and the tutus were handed to me with the clear understanding that they were needed before 1 pm.  Gosh I worked like never before in a long time.  I however warned her, after the tutus were done, I need to make time for my customer quilts.

With the tutus delivered in time, I loaded the quilt and what a wonderful feeling to be able to do something that didn’t entail strange needles (even the sequence on these tutus is sewn on with a slightly blunt overlocker needle) or fancy stitches and I invited the neighbour and the other ladies, who work for her, over to show how much easier it was to do quilting opposed to what they did.

At the end of the day, hubby worked out that we from 4 am worked a total of 16 hours straight, him doing the garden shed and his garage and me with the sewing, quilting, not forgetting food and cleaning as well.

On this shirt quilt I decided to do loops and leaves as even though it is made from men’s shirts, it will be gifted to a female. The quilt was fleeced backed with no batting.




No comments:

Post a Comment