Sunday, November 25, 2018

Making Connections a book by Dorie Hruska


I admire so many Free Motion quilters but here and there one stands out above the rest.  I think not because they are necessarily better than any other but at the time when I got to learn about them, it was just what I needed then and that made an impact.  One other I can think of is Patricia Heinrich Hechler from The Threadworks factory, another inspiring, very talented lady.

The same goes for Dorie Hruska I needed to ‘make connections’ when moving from one block to another and I struggled with it when I saw one of her videos and one thing lead to another and I ordered her book.



So with a little rain starting to fall and me hoping for plenty more I took my ‘homework’, got my new book, printed practice sheets in plastic folders and white board markers outside and started to practice on paper.  This is such a valuable step overlooked by so many quilters which is terribly sad for this ‘paper-practice’ does improve muscle memory.


It took a while to get rhythm talking to myself, saying “over, down, up” and repeat but pretty soon I got the hang of it.  White board markers however do erase easier than unpicking.

Page 1 done and even just with pen and paper I can see something coming from this.  Rather excited.



No comments:

Post a Comment