Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Dream Big Panel 1


Well obviously with this craze going on, I too wanted to try my hand at this but for months I’ve just followed post and read what others said, think and had trouble with.  So the first thing I noticed from many a post was that with this quilt you needed to start from the centre and work your way out.  Not a big issue on a domestic machine but on a frame somewhat trickier.  So I tried another ‘new to me’ thing.  I basted the whole panel before having to move it back and forth on the frame.


The second thing I did was to mark the centre on clear plastic as this seems to disappear when on a frame and you don’t know which line to follow. The clear plastic was to stay near the frame for me to check regularly.


Even before that though, I made my own Chenille strips in all the colours contained in my panel, ready for use.


These strips were then cut apart. I used 2 fabrics per strip, one colour and one white.


I used my square foot for the first time stitching the strips to the quilt top.  I wouldn’t say it is a necessity but seeing that I have it, I thought I might as well try it.


Then the tedious job of laying out the strips, glue basting and stitching these onto the quilt started. I kept forgetting to unpick my basting stitches but it wasn’t too much of an ordeal.


With all the strips done I decided to zip the quilt off the frame and take a photo of it as it might just not go any further than this.  Then at least I have something to show that I tried.  A good thing this photo taking turned out as I saw a spot that I forgot to put a strip on.


I had to change feet and make use of That Purple Thang once I started the free-motion quilting just to see where I’m going and to move the chenille strips to the side.


I am still not sure if all of this will result in anything.  What I do know however is that I want to use this as a practice piece for different quilting motifs and definitely does not only want feathers in every petal.

No comments:

Post a Comment