Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Free motion quilt along hosted by Angela Walters – 1


I regarded myself as a confident free motion quilter on my domestic machine but then got a Q’nique 14+ on a frame in November 2017.  It was back to square one for me, totally lost, believing I’d never get the hang of it and struggling for days on end just getting to load the 3 layers, let alone actually quilting anything.  I had to be hard and remind myself of how long it took to become confident on the domestic machine, so I decided to practice, practice and practice some more.

I will forever be grateful to a couple of trusty quilting friends who offered their completed quilt tops and let me use these as practice pieces, I made mistakes, learnt from it, saw myself getting better but this is still early days and I have a long way to go. 

So imagine my excitement when I saw Angela Walters hosting a free motion quilt along.  This is one lady that I regard as a totally accomplished quilter, having the ability to comfortably move from doing free motion on a domestic machine and just as easily doing the same on a long arm.  I would be a fool not to make use of this opportunity.

She even started a Facebook page, so we could all follow and see each other’s progress and there is nothing like working in a group, noticing your own flaws but also seeing someone with a bigger learning curve than yourself or someone achieving what you hope to some day.

The challenge officially started on 12 February 2018 but the information can still be obtained on her website or blog

The choice was yours whether you’d use the free pattern she made available or use your own quilt top but I opted to go with the pattern she suggested, just made it in my own colours.

This was my quilt top with additional borders when done.



No comments:

Post a Comment