Thursday, November 05, 2020

Puppy print blocks

Phew! Finally, week 4 of my weekly dental appointments came and I am DONE.  So for the next 6 months, unless someone attacks me and dislodges a tooth, I hopefully don’t have to see a dentist soon but it looks good, I feel good and I know it is good in the long run.

The rest of my evening was spent starting to label my thread colours.  This way if one runs low or out, I can immediately see the number and re-order.

Lately, I’ve received several quilts with way too small backings, some as little as only 1 inch larger than the top….. frustrating!!  With a long arm, the backing and top are loaded on 2 different poles and although I find the centre on both fabrics one does have some movement (shifting) while quilting.  One quilter even added 6 inch wide strips to her backing (which help with the side clamps on the long arm) but in the weirdest colours that don’t even remotely fit the top or the backing.  Now if I do have movement this horrid colour strip will become part of the backing which will be terribly sad and look awful.

I am however going to make a point to refuse quilts where the backing and batting is not larger than the top or cut square.  I spend one whole morning squaring up backings and battings and sadly that is not included in the service I offer.  Furthermore, if I need to baste the whole quilt before the actual free-motion starts (to see if it will fit) that adds up to the time spent quilting.  So the customer tries to save a little on fabric and in the end pay extra for the quilting.

This little puppy print luckily had enough batting and batting and I was able to finish it in just a couple of hours.  I chose the wishbone motif to do the most of the work on this quilt






No comments:

Post a Comment