Friday, February 18, 2022

Activity mat

I was so impressed with this activity mat from a new customer who claimed she is not a quilter or even a seamstress.  I would have never guessed it after seeing this.

She just wanted the 3 layers stitched together and I honestly didn’t think it through when I offered to it.  Getting those thick 3-D applique shapes through my moving and split idler rail was a mission.

For example, when the ladybug (rather thick) went through the idler rail, that part of the quilt would be nice and flat but to the side of it, the fabric made puckers.

Initially, I wanted to do motifs in each block to match the theme (flowers, circles, water, etc.) but my machine foot constantly got stuck on the applique, so I had no other choice than to do meandering.  With it, I could manage to avoid certain areas that became problematic.

The owner is however happy and that is satisfaction enough.


As for the move, I’ve started packing up my sewing room, taking cupboards and the TV from the walls, then hubby had to fill up the holes and redo the paint.  A messy lot but it has to be done.




No comments:

Post a Comment