Sunday, May 23, 2021

The largest quilt ever on my frame

This is the quilt from Kimberley, I’ve been referring to and when the quilter gave me the size, we both realized that it was too big for my frame.  She offered to unpick one border but me, with my big mouth, said let me give it a go and I did.

The first problem I encountered was that with the ruler base on, the machine could not reach the edges of the quilt, so I had to remove that, meaning ‘no ruler work at all’.  Then I didn’t have enough space to the sides to add the side clamps which keeps the backing taught and prevents pleats and puckers.

So off I went, quilting with one hand while the other kept the backing taught, it was NO fun at all.  I however needed to put circles in the centre of the star-shaped blocks and after doing most of the free-motion quilting, I unzipped the quilt, put the ruler base back on and quilted perfect circles with a template.  Luckily these were not at the edges.

This quilt just had so many different areas and it was back and forth rolling all the time, changing modes and changing thread colours but I did it and vowed to NEVER again quilt another too big for my frame.

Pictures in no particular order.  This added up to 17 hours and 46 minutes of quilting.

Backing

Borders


 Brown steps

Cream steps

Curvy lines

Completed



No comments:

Post a Comment