Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Scrappy Chevron quilt

While having a quilting friend over one Saturday morning, I dug through my remnants to find pieces big enough to cut 10” squares for this quilt.  The tutorial can be found over HERE.

Ironing the remnants (mostly stuck into drawers and not neatly folded) took longer than the actual cutting but my friend abandoned her cutting project to iron for me which made my work much less.

After the older grandkids left the Sunday morning, I got cutting the background fabric and also got to do a little sewing to see what it would look like.  This is really a fast project.  Asked advice for whether to go organized with this or totally scrappy and the verdict was scrappy.

The organized version would have looked like this:

Wednesday, 5 May was the first time in a month that I could work on this again.  I managed to do almost 3 rows and a funny thing was that the quilter who helped me iron, phoned just on this day to find out how I am doing with this quilt.

I finally finished the top on Sunday, 9 May, measuring 84” x 84”

Then the tedious marking had to be done.  Here I marked instead of just using rulers.  I recently watched a video and I am sure it was by Judi Madsen but I may have this wrong (watch way too many quilt videos) who says that she doesn’t simply rely on her rulers but mark her quilts thoroughly.  This helps one not forget areas that you wanted to quilt or even what you wanted to quilt in an area.

I finally got it loaded on the frame on Tuesday, 11 May and then playtime started.

Sunday, 16 May I released it from the frame to check the back for any mishaps and then cut the binding.

I planned to do the binding Sunday afternoon while watching tennis and it started out good but then the older kids had load shedding and didn’t want to sit in a dark house for 2 hours, so they came over.

I got up early Monday morning and finished the binding and then had to pop it in cold water in the machine to get rid of all the blue line-markings.

I almost forgot to finish this post!  With he quilt on the washing line to dry, I started cooking supper and while doing that the Kimberley quilt was delivered.  I knew I had to finish cooking first otherwise it wouldn’t get done.  Tried 2 new recipes, one being chicken with orange peel and juice and cabbage with apple chunks.  This was served with quinoa and roasted butternut and only then could I pay attention to the new quilt.

Had another quilter over early evening for a glass of wine and only then realised the quilt was still hanging outside.  It is now done but the one thing that saddens me when using 80/20 batting is that once washed, the quilt seems to lose that lofty look.  Here is some detail of the quilting. I here chose to only use white thread as it would take me forever to try and match the thread colour to all those coloured pieces.

And this is the completed quilt.



No comments:

Post a Comment