Friday, January 01, 2021

The last day of 2020

We woke up this yesterday morning to find, Mayday, a parrot that stays with us over the festive season every year has laid an egg.  She is already 45 years old and on Mothersday this year laid her very first egg.  One is not supposed to remove the egg but let it be until she loses interest, so I place a piece of fleece at the bottom of the cage with the egg on top but as friendly as she usually is, she is now rather feisty and protective about her egg.

With the abundance of rain, we’ve been blessed with latterly, mushrooms are popping up all over the garden.  Not edible though but reminds me of the fairy tales we heard about as kids.


Wednesday my only male client brought me a stunning quilt top and jokingly said: “I’ll fetch it tomorrow morning”.  No, I didn’t take him seriously but got up at 3:30 and with my late lunch carnivore platter not needing much other than a quick trip to the air fryer, I thought I might as well get this quilt loaded.

The recipient does not like fancy frilly stuff so the quilter requested my trusted 3’s and E’s.  While doing this I thought I could do this all day long on every quilt.  It goes fast, uses very little thread and I think the ideal motif for toppers starting to feel guilty about their tops not being turned into quilts.  It is also the cheapest (as is meandering) when being charged for quilting.

The word toppers were introduced to me by a quilter from Port Elizabeth, South Africa.  They refer to people making quilt tops and never finishing it as “toppers” and I found it rather neat.



The big kids with 2 grandchildren came over late afternoon for our snack platter and left 8pm as our curfew is 9pm.  Curfew or not South Africans just don’t listen and at midnight fireworks could clearly be heard.  The grandkids stayed over and will be starting their New Year by us.

Wishing all a wonderful 2021 and may we not repeat the mistakes of the previous year!

No comments:

Post a Comment