Sunday, March 22, 2020

Covid 19 hits home


As a rule, I am not much of a groupie person nor do I get involved in any rat race be it wealth or any other way of expressing yourself to simply belong somewhere.  So when the coronavirus hit, I decided to stay safe without becoming paranoid.  However sometimes life simply forces you to start thinking about these things differently.

Even before Covid 19, the law required all our workers to wear dust masks whenever sanding down floors to prevent them from inhaling the dust/cement and when Covid 19 hit home, masks or any kind could simply not be found anywhere or if found at an absolutely ridiculous price.

So here my life kind of took a turn from quilting to making masks and I cannot really say that I enjoy making these but it does get easier, the more you make and yesterday when hubby took 2 for MIL as the old age home required these too, he met up with a business owner who offered to pay me to make these for him to sell.

At the old age home they too requested I make masks for all of them.  However, for now, I have to make at least two for every staff member which would amount to roughly 46 if I counted correctly.
Saturday morning I had grandbaby over and this lively sole is way too adorable to be ignored to make masks, so I had downtime from sewing.

Now these masks won’t protect you from the Coronavirus but it sure will help to prevent germs from spreading which will cause your immune system to become weaker and especially for us, in South Africa, with winter around the corner, I do think we should all just try to be somewhat safer.

There are heaps of videos and tutorials on the internet on how to make these, I worked through a couple and then chose the one that would be cost-effective and fast seeing that I can’t sit and sew masks all day long.

Here’s a little info on home-made masks.

I am done for now with 52 completed.


No comments:

Post a Comment