Thursday, August 22, 2019

The 2019 South African National Quit Festival – Shopping and fun


I arrived at Johannesburg airport on Sunday morning at 11 am which left us with some time to have a light brunch and a glass of wine before hitting the road to the festival.  As said, previously, my family doesn’t think much of the distances they have to travel but to me, it felt like we drove to another city before getting to the venue.

My sis and her hubby did not appreciate or enjoy the vendors as much as I did and chose to sit in a quiet spot and guard my shopping.

Whenever I travel by plane, I find shopping extremely hard.  I have to constantly keep the allowed suitcase weight in mind, then it boils down to availability in my local town and lastly price.  When I cannot find something easily or locally, I don’t mind paying more but then again one doesn’t simply want to shop till you drop at the first vendor and then find the same, cheaper at another. 

Remembering where I saw what was just as arduous but BIL had much better memory and sense of direction and help with this on day 1.

Wide backing was an absolute must-have for me and nowadays one gets the most beautiful backing and I even caught myself matching backing colours as if I wanted to make a quilt…. Which is not too farfetched as I got beautiful fabric.

After being satisfied that I’ve seen what every vendor had on offer, we drove back home to get ready for a Teppanyaki reservation my sis made for the evening. While the two of us travelled to the Maldives we had Teppanyaki and it made a lasting impression on my sis but sadly trying to relive that one experience will never be possible.


My sis took me to a different restaurant for breakfast every morning and I don’t even want to think about the weight gained from this.  Luckily all good things come to an end and I will hopefully get back into my normal eating routine fast.

Apart from the wide backings I mostly focussed on stuff I will be able to use on the long arm.  I can order these fairly comfortably but saving on the courier charges cannot be discarded.  I also got two whole cloth patterns designed by Telene Jeffrey (Lady Jane quilting) and will hopefully someday muster up enough courage to actually stitch these out. I also could not resist buying a bottle of plum wine at the Japanese restaurant where we had the Tippenyaki and it is one of those things that you’d like the whole world to taste but on the other hand, not want anyone else, but you, to finish it.

Up early this morning, life goes on, after all, I had to do my laundry.  My sis’ Great Dane turned baby Chihuahua while I visited and thought nothing of it to try to sit on my lap or at least share a couch with me.  So dog hair and drool were on most of my clothes.



3 comments:

  1. Drooling here! Lucky you with all that yummy quilting goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next festival Stellenbosch 2021 (I think) you be there!

      Delete
    2. I now live a bit too far from Stellenbosch. We relocated 2 years ago to Port Alfred near Port Elizabeth!

      Delete