Friday, August 09, 2019

Quilt for a dad


A quilter brought a quilt on Tuesday and wanted it done before her dad came to visit.  Fortunately, we have a public holiday today and I could get some extra quilting time in late last night and in the wee hours of this morning.

I used 5 different thread colours on this, 4 on the top and 1 for the bobbin and it just so turned out that the bobbin winder on my machine died after winding 2 bobbins.

With the bad luck some good fortune too.  I am an absolute fan of Pfaff machines and my the machine on the frame was my first ‘non-Pfaff’ purchase BUT as usual Pfaff to the rescue and I could wind my bobbins on my domestic.  It didn’t quite fill a bobbin as much as the long arm machine did but I could still carry on quilting with just more bobbin changes.

The quilt had no less than 4 borders and I did something different on each and here the first 3 thread changes can be seen.

The forth border was white and yet another thread change.

Because of the time restraint, I did not use any rulers and decided to deliberately leave some wide-open spaces to allow the quilt to have plenty of texture.

The quilt was actually way too big for my frame and it took a couple of nifty tricks to get it done, endorsing my belief that I should not take on quilts larger than my frame can handle.

Got it done though and glad it came off the frame intact.



No comments:

Post a Comment