Sunday, August 18, 2019

The 2019 South African National Quit Festival – Time to go check it out


With all my customer quilts done, not in the mood to do any piecing and my long arm in for a service, I got packing.  I will be flying this morning where my little Sis and her hubby awaits me – shame, my sis was summoned to drive me to and from the festival and sadly, we both inherited the ‘no sense of direction gene’, I think from my dad.  I believe she is not too chuffed with this venture of mine but it is about time I take revenge for all the times I had to help with homework, comb her hair and dealt with her giggling friends.  Whether we will ever get to the venue remains to be seen.

I warned her beforehand that I will pack as little as possible to allow me to shop and return with the full allowed weight in my suitcase.  Thus, I am not taking a towel, a hairdryer, basically the bare minimum and use all her stuff (except her husband).

Luckily her hubby will drive us (for the first time) to the festival from the airport and we are supposed to take in our surroundings and see how to get to and from the venue….. Wishful thinking duh!!  In the city where I live it is 13 kilometres from one side of town to the other and they tell me the festival venue is near their house….. Only 22 kilometres, where does ONLY comes into play??  Is there a guesthouse somewhere in between where we can overnight?

When I asked my sis about this, she rudely informed me that we’ll be driving next to the informal settlements and there is no stopping, pausing or pretending to be interested.  It will be ‘go and get there’ or your life!  I can’t help smiling thinking of quilting friend Karin and I travelling all over and ending up in squatter camps….. Really Port Elizabeth, which other city has the same street name in different neighbourhoods?  Driving through the taxi ranks praying just to get to the other side alive, with my nephew exclaiming “you shouldn’t be there, they would kill you”. 

Packed some quilting goodies for my Sis, who actually is more of a seamstress, but seeing that she quit work recently and now has to tag along to the festival with me, the bug might just bite her too.

All packed and ready to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment