Saturday, July 13, 2019

Mauritian elephant quilt 1


Way back in April 2006 I went on vacation with my kids to Mauritius and at the market bought this, which was sold as a quilt BUT it had no batting or backing.  I decided to buy it as a souvenir anyway. It measures 76” x 92” but after close inspection, at home, I realised that I would never be able to wash this, as it will fall apart with the first wash.


It was hand-sewn and appliqued with huge stitches for piecing and the applique.

Loose threads covered most of the top and I was simply too scared to pull on or clip these.

It also had a sort of binding that was all but perfect or at least neat but this was machine stitched.

As with most souvenirs it therefor ended up stashed in a cupboard in the garage and I actually forgot about it until one cleaning day.  I just knew something had to be done with this.

Step one for me was to unpick the binding.  At this stage not even sure the applique will go under my machine foot but I definitely knew the binding made it way too thick. As huge as the stitches for piecing and applique were, the machine stitches were intensely small and unpicking these was not an easy task.

While taking off the binding, I took a photo of the applique stitches on the back.  Huge!

Then I ironed the sides and the top and noticed that not only did the sides not match where the blocks were joined
But in several places, the applique was not caught in the stitching.

I think I might have bitten off more than I could chew.

No comments:

Post a Comment