Sunday, July 15, 2018

Progressive Detail quilting – 4


Granddaughter came out of hospital on Saturday and hopefully life will return to somewhat normal with no more trips to the hospital.  We had Big Man over Friday night and this little bugger woke up at 4 am, had breakfast at 5 and the conveniently went back to sleep at 6 am.  Now that is something I just cannot do, once awake and up, I won’t fall asleep again.  So by mid-afternoon I was rather tired and could use a lovely afternoon nap but it was Wimbledon ladies’ final, I just took a customer quilt off the frame, had two new ones delivered and I so wanted to steal a little time to start working on this course. Time to prioritise, took the quilt of the frame to measure for pricing and this is the back of the quilt.  I have a separate page on my blog where I show the fronts.


Then I took an amazing nap and woke up just in time to see the end of the men’s’ final that couldn’t be finished on Friday.  So while trying to watch the ladies’ final I simultaneously followed the video on my class….. big mistake, got distracted and made a marking mistake in the very first row, so TV and tennis were put on mute.  What a tedious process marking a quilt turned out to be.  Yes, I do mark my quilts too but never the whole quilt before I even start.  I will take a photo, print a black and white copy, decide what goes where on graph paper and mark as I go when I get to that section.  After marking this one, I am rather convinced (unless a whole cloth) I won’t ever mark a complete quilt again and this one is still small, only 36” square.


With my backing and batting for this ready I started looking at the photo of the new customer quilt to get ideas for the quilting and by bedtime, I had the outer border sorted. Then I returned to my class video on the actual quilting and this looks like so much fun, right up my alley but will I get it done.  These things always look so easy when someone else does it until you get to be the one behind the machine handles!  Still I could not wait to start.

Up early this morning, loaded the quilt and got started and the class picture looked more daunting than it really is but when I got to the centre block I could feel my shoulder acting up from all the intense ruler work and micro quilting and I had to take a break.


I do love doing these courses as it takes you out of your comfort zone making you realize you are capable of more. A pity Kevin Anderson did not win the final but hopefully his day will come soon, he has worked so hard to get where he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment