Sunday, April 25, 2010

This years' BOM

Started on a BOM designed by Iessie Steenberg earlier this year and a group of us go to her house to get and work on our new block every month. With the heaps of hand appliqué on this I fell way behind, so for the last week or so and especially this weekend I worked extra hard to try to get up to date before our next meeting on Wednesday and I did it!!

However I am done with QAYG – this technique just does not work for me. I mean really, take a 12½inch block and seriously quilt it – it definitely no longer is 12½” and then try to accurately stitch the next (still unquilted) block to it. Even worse when you quilt in rows as I did – before quilting the width of the sewn strip would measure 47 inches but once quilted it only measured 44,5 inches and then I had to join the next row (3 x 12” blocks + 2 sashing strips of 5,5” each = 47) to that. Simply impossible and one cannot cut the new strip shorter without losing corners in the block and I couldn’t afford even more shrinkage on an already shortened strip.

Nope in future I’d much rather struggle with a double, queen or King size quilt under my machine as the effort into trying to match uneven lengths of strips is about just as bad. So 6 of the one or a half dozen of the other, same difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment