Thursday, June 01, 2023

Quilting of a different kind

Let me start off by saying, this was INTERESTING!  Not your standard pieced quilt but instead what used to be a duvet cover for a grandson and then grandma got tired of fitting the inner or the inner sliding off, inside the cover, ending up at grandson’s feet.  She made a plan….Unpicked the cover, got backing and batting and told me to quilt it.

I started by outlining the major figures.  Sorry, I don’t know all their names, I did recognise Hulk though and at first wanted to call this the Hulk quilt but I was scared of offending the others.  Once outlined I phoned the quilter to say how long only the outlining took and whether she wanted me to do more.  She gave permission to do MUCH more.

I then filled the wide-open spaces with free-motion motifs and mostly just echoed some areas – this was also an instruction from Grandma.

Grandma gave me one more visit to check over and we added even more quilting.  The quilt is huge and having fetched it from me one evening, she had to take the photos the following day and send it to me.

This is the centre of the quilt

This is the left side

And the right side

The completed quilt can be seen on the Gallery page.

I am seriously contemplating finding a suitable duvet cover and quilt it for myself.  This was so intriguing.  My Son-in-law is already distraught and said I don’t love him because I never ‘made’ him a quilt like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment