Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Fans all-over design

When I enrolled for the all-over feathers Bootcamp starting on 21 April, I got the instruction to get a practise quilt sandwich ready, which I, as a diligent student 😊, did almost immediately. 

Then, Tuesday happened where I was kicked out of the house while the cleaners did their thing and would you believe it, I saw another tutorial video on a motif the quilter named fans. Now I’ve seen these quilted before, just couldn’t quite get the hang of it by only seeing pictures and there it popped up in a video, step-by-step with valuable little informative sentences in between and close-up views of the quilting and I thought, bugger this, I can make another practise sandwich, I have to try this out. 

This looks similar to the Baptist fan motif but done freehand, no stencil, ruler or pantograph needed and the best of all only a tiny bit on back-tracking. Those who know me also know that I prefer full custom quilting however, I do realize this is somewhat pricy for most quilters and not always practical especially if a quilt is made for a kid who’d be dragging it along or heavily coloured fabric or prints. In these cases, the texture is more important than motifs. So, my aim for now, whenever I don’t have customer quilts, is to build my repertoire of edge-to-edge free motion quilting. I’ve therefore started a new page to my blog specifically with these designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment