Friday, June 28, 2019

Quilts with words


I had an interesting request from a quilter in that she wanted to visit her daughter in Mauritius but also take a quilt along.  Nothing too special but then she wanted words quilted all over the quilt as well as flowers.  Now I don’t have a computerised system and everything I do is freehand with the help of rulers and at first, I said “no”.  I, however, had a day or so to think about it and decided if I never accept challenges, I would never know whether I am capable of doing it, so I called back and said: “yes I’ll do it.”

She pieced the blocks in less than a day and then brought it along with 57 words I could choose from to me.  I could neatly space 31 of those. The scary part is that I got the quilt (75, 5” x 68”) on the evening of the 25th of June and she leaves for Mauritius on the 4th of July and still needs to bind the quilt.  So I had not much time for experimenting or fooling around.  Pedal to the metal as they say.

I finished the quilting on 27 June (two days, with having to do my day job in between…. Pat on the back to myself) and I do hope her daughter will enjoy searching for the words.

The quilt top

The back… can you flip the word and read ‘marathon’?



No comments:

Post a Comment