Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Autumn bricks

I didn’t plan to quilt on Sunday as I invited the kids for supper.  I made lamb liver cakes (similar to fish cakes but with ground liver) served with mashed potatoes and caramelised onions. My kids still enjoy traditional South African dishes, and I love making them for them, as very few youngsters nowadays grow up with or appreciate them.  Not as if my kids are ‘youngsters’ anymore. Occasionally, when they have birthdays, and I realise their age, I actually feel sorry for them for being that old.

On Monday, National Women’s Day, as I started gathering ingredients for supper, hubby said I should not cook, as we have several plates of leftover food in the fridge and we should finish that first.  Music to my ears!

The weather bureau warned about a sudden severe cold front from Monday with wind, rain, hail and snow, but when we got up, apart from being cloudy, nothing much of the forecast was seen.  I just finished cleaning the house when it started to rain.  By then, the wind had also gathered speed; soon afterwards the hail started.  It was bitterly cold!

Not able to work outside on the paving, hubby brought in wood and started an indoor fire in what is supposed to be the indoor barbecue.  He, however, is not much of a barbecue man, so it mostly serves as a fireplace.  Many moons ago, he promised to start cooking once retired, but 5 years in, I had no such luck.

With the ambience from the fire, I didn’t feel like doing anything chore-related, and we settled by the TV and watched no less than 2 movies.  I took a mean afternoon nap under a thick, warm blanket, and for once I enjoyed National Women’s Day.

With me having plenty of R&R on Monday, it was back to normal yesterday.  I got to finish this one.

Not all quilters name or label their quilts, and then I try to come up with a name, just not to start every post with “another quilt”.  This is exactly what happened here.




No comments:

Post a Comment