Friday, September 01, 2023

Abstract modern quilt number 5

I received the first of these 5 quilts on 25 July of this year and after doing the first one, trying to sense the picture the seller had in mind, I had to adapt to her desires which were mostly straight lines with the odd curve.

Initially, I thought, great, it would be easy, very little planning needed but I never anticipated how boring this would become.

Whenever I have to interrupt my quilting process to do other things, I usually look forward to getting back to the frame but after doing 60 or so straight lines, knowing I have to return to more straight lines, was somewhat of a deal breaker.  I think what I’m trying to say, is that I could have finished these faster if I didn’t so much look up to the following straight lines.

With this top, however, I noticed possible problems beforehand when I laid the top out on the bed.  See the little pleats around the curve?  These can become major issues when being quilted.  I decided to plan my lines to match the pleats and instead of going across them, I took the quilt off the frame several times to turn it and be able to work with the wrinkles and from the centre outwards.

Finally done with all 5 and now I do believe at least my quilting life can return to normal as the seller is currently in Fiji until the end of September; these first 5 were simply experiments to see if anyone would be interested.

This photo shows some of the straight lines going in different directions.



No comments:

Post a Comment