Sunday, August 27, 2023

Abstract modern quilt number 4

Now this one posed a severe problem with puckering around the curve.  The quilter and I discussed every possible reason why this one went so horribly wrong.  It could be simply fabric cut with a curve, these sometimes cause problems even in much smaller quilt blocks; the fabric was not cut/pieced on the grain or the grainlines not running in the same direction.  It could also be me, having started with the outer straight edges before quilting the curve, thus not leaving it anywhere to move.  Whatever the cause, the quilter was prepared to redo the quilt but after thinking it over during the night, I decided to give it one more try.  This shows the puckering.

I had to unpick all the stitching in the curve, lay it flat on a bed and saturate the curve with spray starch.  I then used a hair dryer to dry the fabric while manipulating the puckers more to the centre.  Once dry, I also changed the design in the curve to enable me to start the lines on the outside and work my way to the centre.  Leaving a pocket in the centre would compensate should there be any more puckers and IT WORKED!

The completed design can be seen on the Gallery page.

No comments:

Post a Comment