Saturday, February 15, 2020

Quilt for Gammie


Hubby and I went for a lovely romantic Valentine’s dinner with wine pairing at a local restaurant which was much needed now that the kids are out of the house and busy with their own kiddos.

The food was absolutely amazing and when given the choice between 2 deserts, we took both, hubby knowing that I don’t have a sweet tooth, enjoyed both. However, this did not happen before I finished a quilt

A regular client made a quilt for her little dog, a total water and fishing fanatic…. The dog that is!  She however brought along a high loft polyester batting that I haven’t used before BUT a couple of days before, our South African Q’nique what’s app group discussed this, so I told her it would be a gamble but I’d give it a try.

Now on face value the quilt looks fine and it shows a lot of texture but it caused several problems.  Because of the small size (30½ x 35½”), I couldn’t fully load the batting or top which left these to float on the backing.  The puffy batting caused the fabric to bunch up and I constantly had to keep it smooth by holding fingers either sides of the needle.

I also put on my open toe foot as I wanted full visibility when I wrote the name of the dog in the centre and the foot got stuck in the batting whenever I got to the side.

The last problem is that this batting had no right or wrong side and luckily I warned the quilter that the batting might ‘bleed’ through the fabric, which it did but it is not too obvious.

I am glad I got the opportunity to test this but I would definitely not recommend or even use this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment