Sunday, June 23, 2019

Postage stamp customer quilt


My customer quilt arrived and it was even better looking in real life than the pictures she sent me prior to finishing.  With her sending me pictures I had time to audition motifs that would not take away from the overall quilt but would be good enough to hold the layers together and have a neat visual appeal on the back.

First, though I had some of my Mothers’ Day voucher left and I made an appointment for a pedicure.  What bliss and yes, I fell asleep and snored!

The customer contemplates cutting the outer border once her mom’s bed is measured, so instead of going for definite designs that might be cut in half; I decided to do a simple meandering on the border.

Then the large blocks were outlined with stitch in the ditch, keeping the sashing clean and straight.
To fill the large 12” blocks I chose one of Dorie Hruska’s designs from her book ‘Making Connections’ to cover the block from top to bottom, taking away some of the strain of doing ruler work with the outlining.

About at this stage on every quilt, I’ve ever made I have these extremely mixed emotions.  On the one hand, I’d like to finish it and let the quilter know that it’s done and on the other, I don’t want this process to end.  I only get a comfortable rhythm midway through quilting and then it seems as if it abruptly ends.

I, however, guess I can’t simply keep the quilt on the frame forever.  This is the finished front
And this the back


No comments:

Post a Comment