Sunday, October 13, 2019

Kelly – A whole cloth quilt – Part 1


While at the South African National Quilt Festival, I purchased two printed whole cloth patterns designed by Telene Jeffrey from LadyJane Quilting.  These can easily be downloaded as PDF patterns from her online shop but then the enlarging is left up to you.  I preferred to purchase the already printed to size patterns.

Step one was to use my light table and trace the design with a white chalk pencil onto the fabric.  Not really my idea of fun and it actually took a couple of weeks to get this done.

Knowing that this will take a while to stitch out, I initially decided to baste the whole quilt with straight lines 4” apart but I feared my chalk markings might disappear when advancing on the roll. I then decided to keep with the basting lines on all the background areas but stitch the outer lines of the main motif as I got to it.

With all the background basting done and the main motif stitched, I could zip the quilt off the frame to accommodate a customer quilt.

When I got a break in customer quilts I put the quilt back on the frame and then had to decide on a motif for the background and after toying with several ideas I decided on a simple medium-dense meandering as I didn’t want the background to take away from the centre motif.  Now this was nice to do, no rulers, no thinking just calmly going from one side to the other.

I finally got done with meandering all the background around the main motif but while having another quilter over and looking at the quilt, we noticed I’ve skipped some of my lines.  Luckily, I’ll be able to stitch these in as I start with the filler.

I changed to a smaller open toe foot for the fillers as hopefully, it will remind me to go extremely tiny when stitching.  I’ve never done a dense filling, so this will be a new experience.

I’ve decided on dense pebbling (which I only found out yesterday is called pearls) instead of stippling for the filler and this will surely take forever and a day.  So with this post, already full of pictures, I’m hoping to return with the completed quilt in….. a couple of months??



No comments:

Post a Comment